Monday, October 26, 2015

Pastors Right to Live by The Gospel


Do I say these things as a mere man? Or does not the law say the same also? For it is written in the law of Moses, “You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain.” Is it oxen God is concerned about? Or does He say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written, that he who plows should plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your material things? If others are partakers of this right over you, are we not even more? Nevertheless we have not used this right, but endure all things lest we hinder the gospel of Christ. Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel. But I have used none of these things, nor have I written these things that it should be done so to me; for it would be better for me to die than that anyone should make my boasting void. For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel! For if I do this willingly, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have been entrusted with a stewardship. What is my reward then? That when I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel of Christ without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel.” I Corinthians 9:8-18 NKJV

Notice the verses highlighted in bold. I’m not sure if its just me or what but, I kinda observed that we use the verses 1 corinthians 9:13-14 to defend the rights of the minister of words to live or get their maintenance from the gospel since they preach the gospel. But, seemingly missed out the very next verses that follow, 15 to 18 (see link: 1 corinthians 9:15-18). In verse 15, Apostle Paul expounded further and said; "But I have not made use of any of these privileges, nor am I writing this [to suggest] that any such provision be made for me [now]. For it would be better for me to die than to have anyone make void and deprive me of my [ground for] glorifying [in this matter].” 1 Corinthians" 9:15 AMP. And, state further in verse 18, that he present the gospel of Christ without charge or free of expense and that he may not abuse his authority in the gospel. 

I'm sorry but I have to ask, were not the apostles our model as christians, if they did not claim this right as they may hinder the gospel of Christ, why are we claiming the rights? Are we greater than the first apostles?

Moreover, the bible said;

But we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw from every brother who walks disorderly and not according to the tradition which he received from us. For you yourselves know how you ought to follow us, for we were not disorderly among you; nor did we eat anyone’s bread free of charge, but worked with labor and toil night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you, not because we do not have authority, but to make ourselves an example of how you should follow us. For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat. For we hear that there are some who walk among you in a disorderly manner, not working at all, but are busybodies. Now those who are such we command and exhort through our Lord Jesus Christ that they work in quietness and eat their own bread. But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good. And if anyone does not obey our word in this epistle, note that person and do not keep company with him, that he may be ashamed. Yet do not count him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.”II Thessalonians 3:6-15 NKJV

The apostles actually commanded to follow them, they did not burden their followers in supporting them rather and I quote "....we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you to imitate.” 2 Thessalonians 3:8-9 NIV. Take note, a model for us and for us to IMITATE.


Click the Link:

No comments:

Post a Comment